Technical Visit 5: Aalborg University - Energy Department
Power Electronics at the AAU Department of Energy
Aalborg University (AAU) was established in 1974 and has since gained a strong reputation for its innovative approach to education by using problem-based learning (PBL). Education and research at AAU are organized in four faculties, which have a total of +20000 students and +3800 employees.
AAU Energy hosts laboratories (+5000 m2) within all parts of the energy field; our state-of-the-art laboratories range from smart energy systems labs, medium and high voltage equipment, to Power-to-X facility. The AAU Energy laboratories are in the center of many exciting projects where we collaborate with the energy sector to bring new technologies and concepts, from lab-scale to full-scale operation.
The program will start from Pon. 101, Room 1.001, and end at AAU Innovation. See the map below.
Morning Session (MS) Schedule:
- 09:00 – 09:30: Introduction of the Department of Energy, AAU and the power electronics research activities (Prof. Frede Blaabjerg, Pon. 101, Room 1.001)
- 09:30 – 11:00: Guided tours
- After 11:00: Coffee and networking (AAU Innovation)
Afternoon Session (AS) Schedule:
- 13:00 – 13:30: Introduction of the Department of Energy, AAU and the power electronics research activities (Prof. Frede Blaabjerg, Pon. 101, Room 1.001)
- 13:30 – 14:00: Guided tours
- After 14:00: Coffee and networking (AAU Innovation)
Selected Laboratories (Non-Exhaustive)
- Battery Systems Test Laboratory (https://www.energy.aau.dk/laboratories/battery-systems-test-laboratory)
- Drives Traction Laboratory (https://www.energy.aau.dk/laboratories/drives-traction-laboratory)
- e-Grid Laboratory (https://www.energy.aau.dk/laboratories/egrid-laboratory)
- EMC Laboratory (https://www.energy.aau.dk/laboratories/emc-laboratory)
- Integrated Energy System Laboratory (https://www.energy.aau.dk/laboratories/integrated-energy-systems-laboratory)
- Power Electronics Component Analysis Laboratory (https://www.energy.aau.dk/laboratories/power-electronics-component-analysis-laboratory)
- Power Electronics Reliability Laboratory (https://www.energy.aau.dk/laboratories/power-electronics-reliability-laboratory)
- Power Electronics Converter Laboratory (https://www.energy.aau.dk/laboratories/power-electronics-converter-laboratory)
- PV Outdoor Test and Monitoring Platform (https://www.energy.aau.dk/laboratories/pv-outdoor-test-and-monitoring-platform)
- X-Power — Power Electronics Reliability Test Facilities (https://www.energy.aau.dk/laboratories/x-power-power-electronics-reliability-test-facilities)
- AAU Innovation（https://www.innovation.aau.dk/）
AAU Innovation supports the central activities at Aalborg University, including research, education and knowledge collaboration. Its primary goal is to assist researchers and students at AAU to use their knowledge and expertise for the benefit of society, both nationally and globally.
How to get there?
We meet at Pon. 101, Room 1.001
From congress venue of EPE’23 (Aalborg Congress and Culture Center)
- By Bus
Walk 500m to Aalborg Busterminal and take Bus No. 2K (direction to Gistrup Skole), 2J (direction to Storvorde) or 2H (direction to Klarup) to Pontoppidanstræde for 15 minutes. Bus fare is 24dkk.
- By Taxi
Taxi fare is about 200dkk-300dkk and credit card is accepted. The ride will take about 15 minutes. Taxi can be booked online through
https://dantaxi.dk/english/ or APP Dantaxi.
- By Self-Driving
There is a free parking lot near AAU Energy. GPS coordinates (57.017, 9.97185)
Going to Aalborg Airport
From AAU Innovation
- By Bus
Walk 700m to Da Vinci Parken (Alfred Nobels Vej) and take Bus No. 12 (direction to Aabybro/Lufthavn(Airport)) to Aalborg Lufthavn for 40 minutes. Bus fare is 34dkk.
- By Taxi
Taxi fare is about 300dkk-400dkk and credit card is accepted. The ride will take about 20 minutes.
- Date and duration: Friday, 9.00 -11.00 & 13.00 – 15.00
- Price: Free
- Maximum number of participants: 96 (2 x 48)
- Location: Pontoppindanstræde 101 (Room 1.001), 9220 Aalborg East
- Transportation: on your own
(By public bus or Taxi (+/- 15 min from the city center @approx. 200 DKK))
The meeting point is Pontoppidanstræde (Pon.) 101, Room 1.001. The sessions start at 09:00 and at 13:00. Registered participants will be informed whether they are selected for the morning or afternoon session. Please be present some 15 minutes before.